Saturday, September 17, 2011

Me my Father and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Dedicated to my father Curtis Skeeter Sr.

I'm a boxing fan because of my father. Back in the day my house would be packed on fight nights. It was a huge event to my family. Sugar Ray Leaonard, Thomas Hearns, Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson... I really miss those days. He recorded all the big fights and I watched them thousands of times by myself analyzing the styles and copying the movements just in case I might have to fight myself. I never really got into too many fights so I didn't really have to ever show my skills. lol

As I got older I stopped paying attention to the styles and started falling in love with knockout artists. I wasn't watching for sport anymore I was looking for the kills. I liked to see the flashy guys who got people outta there!

I paid attention to Floyd when he was younger. I say younger respectfully now since I noticed I'm only 2 years older than him. He was demolishing dudes and I hadn't been impressed with someone like him since I saw Sugar Ray Leaonard fight Haglar. The funny thing is Sugar didn't get hit too much either. He pranced around the ring and won on points but I saw a young Floyd putting work on people. It was kinda ugly.

As Floyd got better his skills got better and his restraint from not taking as much risk in prior fights made him unbeatable but I didn't like it. I wanted to see the knockouts so I joined the hater crowd. Floyd is this Floyd is that. Floyd is scared, he's running, he's scared to take a punch...

In later years I reconnected with my father for the fight nights where he was staying. He had the device that gave all the channels even the dirty ones. lol Some of yall know what I'm talking about. I'd visit him regularly and on fight night it was on. We'd be screaming and hollering at the TV together like a father and son should in my opinion. I couldn't get enough of that feeling. I miss it.

Then it was Mayweather Vs. De La Hoya. I had become a De La Hoya fan towards the end of his career because he became an animal. I don't know if it was desperation because his skills were fading but I liked the aggressive De La Hoya. During the fight I'm pro De La Hoya and my pops is drilling me on Mayweather. My uncle was there drilling me too but I was for Oscar and I felt like Floyd was running but my father kept drilling me and Mayweather kept "Boxing". Then I saw De La Hoya getting frustrated and Mayweather started popping him crazy. He was hitting from angles Larry Bird had never tried. Pop Pop Pop Shoe Shine and out. It was a old fashioned ass whipping now since I've analyzed the fight over and over again. I got it on file in my fight stash for sentimental reasons.

The biggest thing that I got from that fight is during the debate of who was gonna win my father said something I'll never forget. He was looking me dead in the face between one of the rounds. I said said to him "He's scared to get hit. He's just stealing rounds. He's not really fighting!" His response was "If that was you I wouldn't want to see you get hit!" and I shut the fuck up and watched him beat De La Hoya's ass!

Since that day I've never wavered from Floyd. I talk to hype stuff up but my eyes were opened. The man comes to win. He doesn't care what cameras are on him. He's not trying to be politically correct and he's not fake. He's about his money. Fuck the belts the rankings, press and what anyone has to say about him. He's playing by the rules and within those rules he's the greatest pound for pound fighter I've seen in my life and he can't do wrong by me win or lo$e.

No comments:

Post a Comment